I love family. I love learning. I love food. This is simply a collection of thoughts, memories, and recipes that are a piece of me!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Three Truths (I Wish I'd Known)

If I could go back in time 10 years, I don't know that I'd change much about my life now.  I just know I'd tell younger me a few things.  There are three truths I mull over almost daily recently.

1. Never call yourself fat or ugly in high school.  That's probably the best I'll ever look.
2. Always always go to college right out of high school.  It's so much harder once you're married with kids.
and 3...this is going to sound tright and silly, but time does pass, even if you don't want it to.

When my oldest was born, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and making that trudge from one side of our two bedroom apartment to the other.  Lights off, grab the bottle, mix the formula, grab the crying baby, change the diaper, rock and feed, lay baby in bed, sleep two hours, repeat.  It was one of the most difficult times of my life- I had to learn to care more about someone else than I did myself.  That was so scary and hard and awful.  I remember talking to my mom one day about it a few weeks after he was born, and she warned me that soon enough, he would be sleeping through the night.  Then eventually, he'd be eating by himself, then potty trained, then, before I could blink, he'd be starting school.  I had no idea.

Our son just turned 5 in June, and he is starting kindergarten soon.  We homeschool, so that makes the mommy transition a bit easier, I think, but just the thought of him being in....school....makes me a bit weepy.  I can't believe my mom was right...time did pass, and it seems like it only took the last 5 years a moment to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment