I love family. I love learning. I love food. This is simply a collection of thoughts, memories, and recipes that are a piece of me!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chip and Dip Potato Salad

I very often find myself trying to figure out a recipe that will be simple.  I adore simple things.  I love dishes that take either very little time, very little effort, or both.  If I can take a few minutes, start something, throw it in the oven, and walk away for a while while I play with play-dough or Simon Says, I will love it.  It's even better when it is tasty, too.  This recipe is one of those.  I used to make a potato salad sort of like this with cream cheese and sour cream and a dip mix, and it was really good, but it had a funny texture after it was refrigerated.  Since we are a leftover kinda family, that didn't really work.  This recipe was born from that, and I honestly can't tell you how delicious it is.  You really just have to try it.






What you'll need (this recipe is good for 4 or 5 people):
1 lb red potatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
ready made dip of your choice (I used ranch, but I'm guessing french onion or anything else sour cream based dip would be fine)
salt and pepper











Start by washing and drying your potatoes.  It's important the potatoes are dry when you add the oil and put them in the oven, so wash and dry BEFORE you chop them.  Cut out any yucky spots, but don't peel them. Those peelings are the best part!  Chop into bit sized pieces.





After they are all chopped, dump them onto a sheet pan (I line mine with parchment, but you don't have to.  Add the olive oil and salt and pepper.  Toss them around so the potatoes are completely covered in the oil.  This is what is going to brown them and make them all crispy and delicious!












Stick them into a preheated 400 degree oven, and roast for about 20 minutes, or until they start to crisp a bit.  Take them out and give them a toss and roast for another half an hour.  When you take them out, they will be golden brown and crispy (especially those skins) and soft on the inside.  I struggled with eating them all just like this.  Let them come to room temperature.




Start adding the dip, just a tablespoon at a time.  You don't want too much "sauce" for the potatoes.  They won't absorb it too much because they are crisped on the outside and cooled.  Toss it all together, serve, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment