I love family. I love learning. I love food. This is simply a collection of thoughts, memories, and recipes that are a piece of me!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Similar Differences.

One of the things I love about being a mother of multiple children is finding out as they grow just how different they really are.  I don't think I really had high expectations that Isaiah and Izzy would be extra similar simply because one is a boy and one is a girl.  In fact, I'm always pleasantly surprised to find ways they are the same.  They both love chocolate milk.  They both love playing with cars (though I think she does it for him).  They both love helping me cook.  They both hate helping me clean.  Their differences, however, are quite glaring, but I don't think I realized just how different these two children were until Bird and I were going through some baby things getting ready for our new hatch-ling, and we came across Isaiah's first Halloween costume.  He was a puppy, and he hated it.  Even in the picture above (he's on the right), we only were able to snap this shot moments after a huge crying fit.  At first, we thought he just didn't like that particular costume, but year after year, Halloweens and plays and dress up time with friends led us to realize that those tears were genuine.  That kid hated dressing up.  This, though heart breaking a bit for the mommy, came to be just an expectation with life.  No big deals could be made of his role in a Christmas play.  No Halloweens with tons of pictures and parties.  No.  I had come to grips with the fact that costumes and dress up would not exist in our house.

Enter: Isabella.

This girl is a princess.  And a pirate.  And a doctor.  And a train conductor.  And, quite happily, a puppy dog.  (It's especially amazing that this still "fit" her since she should have outgrown it a year ago...)

Both of our kids are wonderful in their own right, and I can't get enough of their differences.  Though I will admit, just as playing cars has rubbed off on Izzy, I think her adoration for playing dress up has rubbed off on Isaiah, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment