I love family. I love learning. I love food. This is simply a collection of thoughts, memories, and recipes that are a piece of me!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Banana Pie


This is one of my new favorite hot day desserts, so with 100+ weather, I figured now would be a good time to share it! This is actually a variation of my all time favorite pie recipe that I will be sharing closer to Christmas time! (Yum yum!)

Ingredients:
3/4 c. Sugar
1/4 c. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. milk
2 beaten egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 bananas
1 graham cracker pie crust

Mix dry ingredients well. Stir in 1/2 cup of milk then mix. (This will help make sure everything gets incorporated together!) Stir in the rest of the milk and microwave (yes...microwave. you read that correctly!) on high for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the mixture is thickened, temper the egg yolks and then add them to the mixture. Stir very well, and microwave on high for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened again. Add butter and vanilla and mix until the butter is melted. Then, mash your bananas and add them to mixture. Finally, pour into graham cracker pie crust and put it in the refrigerator to chill. (Now, I use the store bought pie crust, but you can make your own if you prefer. I just figure there's no point in making it more difficult for myself!)

Just a quick note on this recipe...this pie is best on the first day, so I like to make it in the early afternoon so it has time to chill and then devour it all in one night. (This never proves to be much of a problem...) Otherwise, your bananas can start to go bad and it's not pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment